Tuesday, April 3, 2012

The Story of this Photo?


As my mother slips deeper into the last stage of Alzheimers, I find there are so many questions I wish I could ask her.  Take this photo for example, I never heard the story of when this was, or what the occassion was as to why it was taken. 

There is no information written on the back.                                

From my own conclusions, I try to fill in the missing information and will probably only get a portion of it correct. I would say, by the way my mother was dressed, it was an important occassion and that she was leaving on a trip or starting a new chapter in her life.  Possibly, she was moving to Argentia for her new secretarial job on the US Navy Base.  Or possibly, she was heading to New York City to live with her Aunt Agnes.  She looks young, maybe late teens, or in her early twenties. Looking at the background, I would say it was taken at her home in Harbour Main.  Behind her, looks like Third Pond, which was across the street from her house, and yes, the fence looks familar too. As for  the time of  year, it is cloudy and seems cool since she is wearing a long wool jacket.  I know she left for New York in October of 1950.

Whatever the story is, this photo leaves an impression on my mind and in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment