Saturday, April 21, 2012

The Old Irish Roman Catholic Cemetery

Old Irish Roman Catholic Cemetery - Harbour Main District [1]
Photographed and Copyrighted by Craig Peterman (2007)


I have to laugh, as a young girl I did not enjoy the trips my mom and her sisters would take ( bringing me along ) to the cemetery in Harbour Main and now I can't wait to get there.

With the help of the Internet and the Newfoundland Grand Banks Genealogy Site, I have searched surrounding area cemeteries without stepping a foot on these properties, I find this amazing!

Some of these sites have photos of the cemetery along with some photos of headstones. During my search, I came across the Old Irish Roman Catholic Cemetery, which is located behind the residence of Joseph Woodford and across from the Gorman's Fish Plant in Harbour Main. This is located at the Cross in Harbour Main ( Intersection of the Conception Bay Highway and Harbor Road in Hr Main) This cemetery has not been used in years. [2]

Reviewing this cemetery, some graves date back to 1776, siting those who came from Ireland, some familiar names are listed like Woodford, Kennedy and Hawco, early settlers of the area. At the bottom of the listing, is a photo of an unknown grave with a wooden cross marking it, RIP written down the center, it looks like it is a replacment  gravemarker. A note states, " There are some 40 of these wooden crosses marking unknown graves and at least a dozen similar slate markers of unknown graves." [3]


Unknown Grave - Old Irish RC Cemetery - Hr Main
Photographed and Copyrighted by Don Tate (2007)

 I wonder if Daniel Dunlae ( Elizabeth Flynn's Father), my 3rd Great Grandfather, who it is believed to have first settled in Harbour Main in the early 1800's is buried in this cemetery. Or possibly my Flynn Ancesters are buried here. This cemetery corresponds to the time period in which they lived and died. This may be the closest I get to finding their graves. I difenitely plan to stop at this cemetery during my visit.










[1]  Old Irish R C Cemetery - Newfoundland's Grand Banks Genealogical and Historical Data
        http://ngb.chebucto.org/Cemetery/cem_old_irish

[2]  History of Saints Peter and Paul Roman Catholic Parish Church - Harbour Main
                  Newfoundland's Grand Banks Genealogical Data
       http://ngb.chebucto.org/Hr_Main/Church/RC/st_peter-rc.shtml

[3]  Ibid [1]

No comments:

Post a Comment